Tuesday, 28 December, 2010

How I got my girl back...

Now don't you look at the title, and rush to check my bio. I am very much a girl, a straight one at that, and this is the title of the book written by one of my favourite humor bloggers Arshat Chaudhary who can be found at Time Pass of India. I've been trying to get my hands on this book for some time, and unfortunately Crossword didn't have it, and btw Flipkart is waaayyy better!!

As the name suggests, the book is about a guy who loves a girl, is parted, and wins her back. Typical Bollywood? maybe... but the better part about it is that, it is totally Indian!

Summary: Devdutt Rastogi likes a girl Pritha in his school, and thanks to his bus rides, also gets to spend some time with her. But then owing to her father's transfer, she moves away to Delhi, and there ends his err... tryst with girls. Cut to the present, and he is an engineer working with an electric company with the job of a Design Engineer.

As life would have it, he meets her again, in his own company, the company appointed doctor with an arranged boyfriend who happens to be his own boss. And the boss is a former schoolmate too, a bully. And then it is all about how he asks his khool friends to help him out in winning her back.

What I like: The cover is all nerdy, engineers will love it. Also, Arshat has used his own knowledge of Mechanical and Electrical engineering, not to forget the German connect. The humor that I have often appreciated at TPI, stays intact here too... some of them cracked me up.... like...

In the last few lines, I realise that I have defamed Jayasuriya for no reason!

when he is describing one of his flat mates as being darker, a foot shorter and losing hair faster than Jayasuriya.

Some truths too... like about doctors...

Most Indians visit doctors only when we can't take care of the sickness ourselves, which is sooo true!

I like the Indian setting, the typical songs we listen to, the language is simple, and there is no show shining, to borrow from Arshat. And I like the candor between the father and son, that bonding is unmistakable.

But, the story is a tad typical, sure you can't guess exactly how he's gonna get her back, but then you already know he is. But then that is what the title already says...

Verdict: Read it for its Indian-ness, for the humor which manages to pack a punch... *thumbs up*

P.S. Why do the girls have to always bow down to 'wishes of their parents'. Bah! it's high time you place yourself first man!

8 comments:

Harish said...

hm.. seems good, i will give a try for this one

Ashish said...

It must feel nice to read and review a book written by a blogger friend

Rohit Dassani said...

Nice review.... will read then!! Happy New Year 2011!!

Nidz said...

When wil it be available in crossword?

Akansha Agrawal said...

@Harish
Share your opinion about it. :)

@Ashish
Oh it sure does. Makes you want to be 'there' some day.

@Rohit
Thank you, and wish you the same :)

Nidz
I answered on fb. :)

Courtney Pell said...

Wow so excited that my ex husband who left me for the past 6months is back with the of help of Dr. Odion the spell caster contact him on via odionspelltemple@gmail.com or call him +2348056932230 if you having are in any relationship or marriage problems he help me and i believe he can help you too once again thanks Doc.

Frank William said...


I want to share this great testimony about how Dr.Obasi helped me bring back my ex lover, During my search for solution i came in contact with Obasi details and through his help my lover came back to me within 48 hours. So with these i am so bold to advise anyone seeking for a way to get there lover back to contact Dr.Obasi at {+2348071223911} or via email at: {obasispelltemple@gmail.com} I am so happy at least myself and my lover are back to each other again and going to spend the New Year celebration together Thank to Dr.Obasi once again....

Sarah Sarah said...

With great respect and honor to a real spell caster Dr Ukaka who restored back my husband after a fight with him i contact him for a love spell and he cast it for me with-in the rang of 48hours, and my husband was back home all thanks to him plz my advise is for you all who have the same problem to contact him via freedomlovespell@hotmail.com or call +2348133873774 web site freedomlovespelltemple.yolasite.com