Wednesday 16 September 2009

A Fall and a Rise...

So the US Open is over again, without me being able to watch a single match (blame my not-so-keen-on-sports-family for not taking those channels on Tata Sky... and exams for not letting me watch 'em on the net!) :(

And yet you wouldn't find a more religious follower... I always open the newspaper from the back page... I followed the triumphs of the injured Nadal surely and slowly making his way through to the Semis... looking pretty relaxed and not very troubled by his abdominal injury, I followed the FedEx rolling on at full speed, crushing people with his sheer grace... I followed every match of Kim Clijsters hoping and praying with crossed fingers that a new champion would emerge in the Women's Tennis... I am extremely bored of watching the Williams...

And then it happens... Kim Clijsters does the impossible, a mum, (Jada is sooo cute... ), a wildcard retruning after two years, triumphs over both Williams sisters amidst loads of setbacks and upsets in the tournaments with top seeds getting usurped... and goes on to win the WOMEN'S TENNIS U.S. OPEN GRAND SLAM... *bows to her* She was my second fav player even back then, when two Belgians, Justine Henin-Hardene and Kim Clijsters ruled the roost... the fav was but of course Justin Henin-Hardene, the fact that she was all of 5'2'' probably helped ;) Seeing Kim back... it would be just toooo great to see Justine back too, nahi?

FedEx... ah, the man so many people bow to, and yet there are people who complain about the lack of humility.... well, not me! I say, you cannot deny the fact that the guy has the right to be a narcissist... (Even his twin daughters are sooo cute...) And yet being outclassed and outplayed by a relatively young and inexperienced guy... it saddened me a bit to see him lose... even though the fact is, that I support Nadal against FedEx... ye partiality kyun... coz I see FedEx as THE Champion and Rafael is THE Challenger... but the records set by Federer are yet unmatched and will remain so till we see a player of his class, his elegance, his grace with a natural ability to do all he does... and I don't mind the narcissism part of it... ;) Till then, he may lose some and he may win some... but to me, he will always remain The King of it all... :D

P.S. The FedEx Nadal pic is just wow!



17 comments:

akanksha said...

For me, Sport means CRICKET :)
I dont understand Tennis, so I don't think I am the right person to comment on this post...But still, I have my say ;-)

Take care!
Keep Writing!

sumit Das said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sumit Das said...

I sincerely feel that the women tennis feels barren without Justin. She was(how I hope I could use is ) an awesome talent , not somebody who used merely a huge body structure or a distracting grunt . That she only possessed a single-handed backhand bears ample testimony to that. Women tennis has been lacking grace since the days of Steffi Graff ,and Henin was a nice throwback to those days. Women tennis now is all about grunts, boring long rallys , intimidation and even some abuses, which is so disappointing and before US open it even threatened to get seriously one family affair.

And if you think that Federer is the king of all, just grab a video of Sampras playing. Just the fact that you like Justin , tells me that after that you will definitely feel better.
And you can also follow tennis on net, with some live commentary to boot.

Akansha Agrawal said...

@akanksha
I used to be a HUGE HUGE cric fan but somehow IPL killed it all for me... I never liked club soccer either, so maybe it has to do with the fact that I am not a very big fan of a game where people play mainly for the money... :-ss

Akansha Agrawal said...

@Sumit Das
Hi! Thanks for dropping by...

Yup, I agree there's nothing left to watch in Women's Tennis... Kim Clijsters is atleast a welcome change from glam dolls...

I have seen Sampras playing, but among the present generation, FedEx wins it hands down... Yeah, I do follow it online but commentary... well I have always found sites with commentary in some alien language, could you possibly give me some proper links where I can get the English commentary???

sumit Das said...

I searched the sites on google and and frankly speaking due to really "awesome" ability of my college's Wi-Fi, the commentary page did not open. But , I am quite sure that the commentary would have been in English. The only way to confirm will be to wait for another tournament. Will post you the links then if I find them.

Here is an article which affirms your point
http://www.espnstar.com/tennis/news/detail/item324137/Kim's-return-is-a-blessing!/

And i quite agree that Federer is best currently. Nadal is also good in that he can produce quite some ooh-aah moments, but .....

BTW thanks for visiting my blog

Devashish Rao said...

Hi Akansha,

Just read U r post on Tennis and would like to tell U that it's awesome.

do join me at Devashish's Blog

Regards,
Devashish

Arjun said...

Totally agree... Fed-Ex remains the king... :D :D

Clijsters.. gr8 on her part to make a come back and even win the title... :)

poor u.. u missed the matches..

Cheers..!!
Arjun

aZoed said...

US Open had an official ball by ball commentary page.. [should've asked me :P] ya jada is cute... and the old proverb of 'not too tall' people standing u for 'not too tall' was just proved right again... ;)

FedEx just lost it man!
his on court antics seemed like someone desperate to write his way to he record books... nah not a champ's way

btw.. I find these kinda posts easier to comment upon :P

AND ... m NOT a fraud!

Akansha Agrawal said...

@Sumit Das
Ohh.. ok, then to the next tournament... :D

You're welcome... and thank you for the link... :D

Akansha Agrawal said...

@Devashish bhaiya
Thank you... have checked out yours too... :D

Akansha Agrawal said...

@Arjun
yeah... \:D/

Poor me... poor exams making me poor... :P

Akansha Agrawal said...

@aZoed
FRAUD :P marketting manager main hoon ya tu???

Huh! just coz you find it easier to comment upon... doesn't mean i m going to write wahi...

:P :P :P at first para... :D

Thousif Raza said...

you prefer federer haan. tell that on the clay court with nadal in view lady........ :P,

P.S: i still gotta see your visit on my blog

take care and keep writing......

Mads said...

Justine was my favourite...hated sharapova..i dont like kim much...but what a feat re...
Fed ex all the way... \:D/
Nadal ke under arm hair are longer than his actual hair... :-w

Akansha Agrawal said...

@Thousif
I support Nadal against FedEx on any court, period...

Akansha Agrawal said...

@Mads
Haan... she may well be the new queen of Tennis...

FedEx \:D/

Nadal keeps it nice and clean mostly... :P :|