Friday, 19 June, 2009

Lyf at EDI... part II

Moving on to the staff involved in the organisation of the EDI Youth Summer Camp, there were three main professors involved, and my grievance with this, is, that all three of them are PhD. in Psychology, and most people who know me, know that I ask too many questions, and psycho never has answers cause I find, it contradicts itself all the time! Now if you see the faculty (use the EDI schedule waali link), you'll find that there are a lot of professors who are economists and teach things like finance and marketting and stuff, so I feel that things can be taken a notch up, and instead of droning about psychology, let's see something more... Also, it seemed like a one-man show throughout... I mean there were people who came to address us and all, but maybe it's because I'm used to seeing an organising team of atleast 20-25 students at any smallest college event that we organise, but I felt participation of a few more faculty members would have been appreciated.

Another shortcoming of the course was that it's not very well publicized, so as a result, majority of the participants were from Ahmedabad, which though not a drawback, does limit the diversity of the group. Though I must admit that we did have participants from quite a few places...

Moving on to the dramatic presentation that we were supposed to give, we had ours on the last day, on 18th actually (supposed to be a compensation for early thematic ppt). So we sat back and enjoyed watching others struggle with their thematics. The dramatic presentations brought forth a lot of talents in people we were hithero unaware about.... We had a guy who gave the entire Naseeruddin Shah waala dialogue from Wednesday, the one that takes place at the end between him and Anupam Kher, and the imitation of their voices was ultimate. If you closed your eyes, it would seem as if someone had put on the movie...

Apart from that, we had guys who regularly performed in drama groups, and gave standing ovation deserving performances. We had guitar players, we had singers, we had a tabla player who had trained since an extremely young age... it was really nice to see all the talent coming to the fore... and it was good to unwind in the evening, after a long day...

But I am moving to the best part of the entire Camp.... we visited the IIM A campus, a place where I dream to be... a place I still see, not with closed eyes, but with open ones... as I struggle at the moment with all my decisions regarding CAT, I see the marvellous brick structure, and I reiterate my promise... that I will be there... no matter what... It's a sprawling campus, and has a typical brick structure, if you see the EDI campus also, it seems a little similar to the IIM... And the Vikram Sarabhai library.... whoa! words fail me... even the classrooms look good... I wish with all my heart to be there... *fingers crossed*

We also visited the NID, and the designs we saw there, gave an idea about the kind of creativity it takes to make those T-shirts we wear with funky designs and quotes... Even this was good, though for me, IIM easily took the cake...

Apart from that, we visited the Akshardham Temple, and I mostly went simply out of curiosity, to see what exactly the temple contained. We saw the entire presentation on Swaminarayan, which I found was okay-ish, but I had no strength left to bear another one hour show, and since most people felt the same way in the melting sweltering heat of Ahmedabad summer, we just went on a few rides(yeah there are rides and all within the campus though you have to pay separately), and then all we wanted to do was to get back to the air-conditioned rooms... Frankly, this has become an industry, and that is what irritates me more than anything else... but fine, as long as we're getting for-ex... I am cool... just don't expect me to be there...

We also went to see the Gandhi Ashram and the National Museum. We saw a 3-D movie at the Museum, and I have to admit, that graphics wise it was one of the best India made 3-D movie I have seen... Then we went to a few shopping places... but since malls are always the same everywhere, we decided to give it a skip, three of us hard-core bookaholics decided to spend the time checking out the Crossword collection, and a few went for bowling. After Crossword, we decided to try a swanky looking place next to it... Crazy noodles, the ambience and the arrangement and everything was actually Crazy... we had these glasses the waiters called the Crazy glasses (yeah we asked), and the menu card was picture perfect... Sorry I don't have any pics... (yeah you guessed it right, thanks to a camera devoid phone), but the glasses were something like... well they didn't have a steady base, they kept rotating, and the way those people put them down for you, giving it a twirl and a spin... it's cool... Ahmedabadis, do check it out if you still haven't... (Even google images doesn't have pics of it... :O)

One of the most horrible things to happen to me... I wanted sooooo badly to meet Mads, yeah the one who makes a Mess... :P and was sooo looking forward to it, but the EDI authorities, hey bhagwaan kuch karo inka... we were not allowed to go out of the campus at all, and even after that, we decided to meet on our Shopping Day, and freak and bizzare situations emerged, forcing us to cancel it... :'( :'( :'( :'( and we could not meet... :(

Anyway, these were the highs and lows of the entire EDI Youth Summer Camp, and all of us are in regular touch with each other... a close group of 57 students and a teacher (who was technically not a teacher, and a very good friend of the entire group) . The facebook community lives, the MSN chats, the Yahoo Messengers, the gtalk chats, FB chats, skype talks, and what-nots... social networking makes it so simple, it's on a platter, and I'll repeat what I have often said... the most important thing you take from there, is not the knowledge, it is the network of friends... and in certain cases, you might ahem ahem... also find somebody... as we had a chance to see... ;) Budding relationships... you know... :P

If someone asks me sometime in life, should I go for the EDI Youth Summer Camp, my answer would be most emphatically yes... go if not for the lectures, go for the amount of fun you'll have... and the basic purpose of writing this two part series is not to fill in the blog space... it is so, because when I google searched before deciding if I should go ahead and attend it, there was very little information about it, practically zilch. I had to turn to one of my elder sisters who happened to know about the college and said that there was no harm in going,and nothing to lose. And that is what I would say for it... loss is nil and gain overflows...

P.S. Some of you may have noticed, and yeah I've been trying to bring this page to the fore, so that when somebody types EDI Youth Summer Camp, and hits, I'm feeling lucky! I get to feel lucky too :P ;)



6 comments:

PRITI R said...

I wish i was directly involved in the narrative.Alas,sigh!
good yaar. :)

Thousif Raza M.B said...

that was very informative yaar, yeah as you said its all gain, thx for taking me on the ride around the IIM campus, i sincerely hope that you will get to study there, may all your dreams come true

nicely written yaar

take care and keep written.......

aZoed said...

really informative piece... but I guess google's still got a long way to go. Pack of UNLUCKY fools :P

Mads said...

hehe :P :P @ budding relationships...
aha thats why u cudnt meet me...coz u had a budding relationship to bud..err...build :D ;)
informative che. and it was from a student's perspective so it wud help out other students too :D
hope u get into IIM-A :) :) :)
and thanks for praising ahmedabad so much :D \:D/ >:D<

- Sugar Cube - said...

Finally I come across a Nagpurian blogger =)

Will visit more.

AMIT said...

Hey its a nice post from you.

Web hosting india