Saturday 24 January 2009

Girl Talk...



OK, I know everybody read the title and I know guys will be the first ones to turn up their noses at it (supposedly) and will also go right ahead with reading the post (I caught you, hahaha....) Now I know you're embarrased, and thinking about leaving... but pray, go forth! [No I'm not begging, I'm locking you in...]

Well, that I'm being dragged to shopping must be common knowledge by now (I know it isn't, that's exactly why I put it there... ah, it's confusing!). Anyway, moving on with the story... I got a wedding coming up in Feb (not mine, my cousin sis') and I had to go shop for a decent dress (suit or ghaghra, whatever I preferred) [and guys, no raised eyebrows please, I know there's one full one month to go for the wedding, but I'm the last one among the entire sis gang.... (to go shopping) and I'm being mobbed!!!!Help!]

SO I went shopping a total 4 times, no 5, and....
1.) I first checked out the biggies i.e. the malls which are great for getting casual wear stuff, but horrible if you want a dress for wedding and stuff.

2.) Next I entered Poonam Sarees (No I wasn't planning to buy a saree, they also keep cloth material for suits) and one of the attendants very enthusiastically came forward to greet us (me, my mom and my dad) and started showing off one after the other, but the insatiable soul that I was, I kept asking him to get more and more stuff with 'better' designs. Finally the fellow got tired and asked me to choose some to be kept aside... I picked up each one and started forming two piles:- could-be and rejected, and when I reached the end of the pile, I was surprised to know that all I had done was shifting the entire pile from my left hand to my right hand... Shit!

3.) Then I entered a shop which had been recommended to my mom by her friend... (Women!) The guy very politely started showing off his 'unique' 'boutique' collection single pieces that you won't get anywhere else ma'am... he kept placing them one after the other in front of me..... till... finally, 'this is it ma'am! this is ALL we have...' Another shit!

4.) The next destination was chosen by me as I had actually heard (read overheard) of this shop from my friends(????) who were discussing these things... I stepped in, and it was a huge two storey shop. We (me and mom) had to leave our footwear outside and proceed to the second floor. We sat down majestically on the gaddis and told them to go ahead with their job... one of them started, brought out dress after dress after dress after dress after.... okay, you got the picture! Then he went to get pieces that had been finalised by his previous customers in order to prove that these were the latest trends... He called two helpers (guys) and made them drape the material in order to provide the 'look' and 'feel' and then looked at my face hoping I would shake my head vertically, but poor him, I kept on doing it horizontally... the poor guys started looking at me helplessly and then I realised the collection was exhausted... Shit! The guy gave me a either-she-is-crazy-or-i-should-go-out-of-business look and we left... I announced that I'd had enough shopping for a day!

5.) By this time, even my mom was getting irritated with me even though she completely agreed with my choice... I had been refusing shopping expeditions, making her postpone them every time she planned one (thank my college-exams and annual fest and WAD-PG [will explain it some other time]). So she went with her friend (the same one) and tested out the next recommendation herself first. Since she got a saree for herself and I liked it, I was encouraged and went with her after postponing it only twice... So we entered this fully Air-conditioned shop with a very professional looking person at the counter, and I stepped on my back foot (from my previous experinces, all that shines isn't gold!)........


[This gap is for the shopping time which lasted 45 min]


and finally I ended up choosing not one, but two dress materials.... yay! no more shopping anymore... hehe... my mom will not dare to suggest one for the next one full year... ;) that is, if none of my cousins decide to get married till then... my fingers are crossed!!!!



31 comments:

Chriz said...

the first commenter.. maan i wanna do a sex change operation now...

Akansha Agrawal said...

@Chriz
Because you want to go through all this? I didn't know it sounded this lucrative... ;)

Chriz said...

i dont wanna go through all that.. any easy way is enough..

The Solitary Writer. said...

lol finally u selected naa...baapre....lol the activities reminds me of my sister

she used to do the same...and the attendant used to get pissed off .....his looks wud suggest omg whre the hell this girl came from hahaha .....nice post

Akansha Agrawal said...

@solitary writer
Girls will be girls... hehe...

aZoed said...

u know... ur past writings.. kind off suggested u were a bit different.. if only a BIT. B.U.T. all I can think of now, is my own sis... she's easier to please I suppose. YAY! n yes.. gals 'll b gals.

Anurag said...

Girlzz will be Girlzz.....It alos reminds me of my sis ......
Atleast u got selected
*Girls*
*Sigh*

Akansha Agrawal said...

@aZoed
*Sigh!*
Why didn't you read the first few lines?
I am being dragged for shopping... I'm the last one to go shopping

And anyway, it's better this way... I don't have to hear my mom telling me everyday that I wouldn't have a dress for the D-Day this way... and yes I AM choosy and not at all sorry about it! It pays in the end... ;)

Akansha Agrawal said...

@Anurag
No I didn't get selected... heck, I wasn't even up for selection!

And get a gf dude... ;) she'll teach you the virtues of life... starting with patience! ;) :P

Dewdrop said...

HaHa... yeah, I know tonnes of gurlz who actually bring the entire display on the counter and then select nothing... I just wonder what the guys who man these shops and assist women in selection of clothes think about womem, since they do it as a part of their routine job!

Aparna said...

i have my cousin's shadi around the corner too
guess i have to go through the same ordeal like u

The Solitary Writer. said...

lol
@anurag

aks asks u to get a girlfrnd so that u can know mre abt girls.....woaaaa...hope ur listening this anu rag

Akansha Agrawal said...

@Dewdrop
Well, this being a true incident, at the moment I'll prefer to keep my eyes and ears closed to what those guys are thinking of me right now!!! ;)

Akansha Agrawal said...

@Aparna
Best of Luck! May God bless the shopkeepers if you're half as bad as I am... :)

Akansha Agrawal said...

@Solitary writer
hehe... ;)

@anurag
It's not just me who thinks that way... :P

kish said...

If you're seeing someone, he is going to have a torrid time taking you shopping(no offence), frankly my mom is a bit like this..

Akansha Agrawal said...

@kish
No offence taken... but since I am not seeing anyone at the moment (and no intentions to do so for some time atleast) I must be safe... ;)

Anurag said...

Yeah Right :|

Thanxs for your "CONCERN" :P

Arjun said...

hehe.. Poor people man...really..!!

someday i'll start an association for their welfare and grievances...
poor souls really...

hehe... Now good luck running behind the tailors... ;)

Cheers..!!
Arjun

moi said...

You seem to be like me, even i do that, but only change is the ending, i end up buying nothing and all seem to be frustrated with me :)

Charmed One! said...

Lol girl...
Guess most of us girls are the same when it comes to the final selection part :)..
So happy to have felli blogger too who goes nuts while shopping :)!!
But the difference is i looovee shopping :)!!
Nicely written girl :)!

Akansha Agrawal said...

@Arjun
Good luck with your welfare association... I hope it gets formed... atleast the wrong notion 'only girls gossip' will end... :P

Akansha Agrawal said...

@Charmed one
Thank you :)
Girls, WE ARE THE ONE! ;)

Akansha Agrawal said...

@moi
Ah, since my mom had dragged me with her... she didn't really have a choice... ;)

Toonfactory said...

Dunno how to comment on ur latest post (the teacher one, but it was damn cute) @ this post- all I can say is Galz will be Galz ;)

Akansha Agrawal said...

@Toon factory
Thank you... :)
i hope dunno how to comment does not mean there's a technical glitch...

ashish said...

I didn't read the blog... :)

Chaitanya said...

I couldn't help but notice that your dad was an innocent victim in one of those escapades. My heartfelt condolences to him for that episode.

Akansha Agrawal said...

@Chaitanya
Male Chauvinism... at its height! huh! :P

Chaitanya said...

Oh on the contrary, I whole heartedly accept the inferiority of men in enduring the rigours of shopping.

Akansha Agrawal said...

@Chaitanya
Male chauvinism was at its height coz there was a tiny mention of my dad in the entire article, and you found ONLY that worth commenting on... :P :D

Oh yeah, guys had better accept that inferiority ;) not that you people have a choice! hehe... \:D/ =))