Saturday, 9 June, 2007

Journey through the pages!

So what is this?words vs screens?print vs electronic?book vs ebook?encycloedia vs CD or net?

A very deep question with equally deep answers.A child today, would anyday, like to play with electronic devices,rather than with live counterparts.Or in a number of cases, is forced to.But we shall keep our discussion limited to that about reading books,and the importance it still holds today,even with the present circumstances.Being a person avidly enjoying both,I choose to strike a balance.So then, what prompted me to write this stuff?

It took a very nice article(not exactly an article,a real life instance) on a blog which can be reached at www.youthcurry.blogspot.com.

So how was it that I got hooked to books?I think it was loneliness that first prompted me to go crazy about books.I mean,I enjoyed reading even as a youngster(or so is evident from each one of my kindergarten report cards) but it was the lonely evenings that made me do a beeline for books.All my friends in the building were busy with their tuitions in their evenings, so I had little option beyond getting bored.But when I did take to books,I did it in a very big way.I visited the school library(it's still the most cherished spot of my memories) almost everyday to borrow a new book.I remember particularly enjoying Enid Blyton stuff(still do, for that matter.It still makes more sense to me than 'To kill a Mocking Bird' by Harper Lee).Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys were other favourites.But among the two,Nancy Drew always won,which I think can be attributed to a large extent to gender bias.And I don't seem to be the only one.After all,I still remember my brother getting mostly Hardy Boys!And before that, there had obviously been fairy tale stories,princes,pricesses,fairies,pixies,elfs,................every thing a child's innocent and honest mind usually is attracted to.

Then came along Roald Dahl!I haven't read too many of his works,and they weren't in the library till there was some competition based on his books,in which a large number of students wished to participate.I liked the way he wrote,although I never participated in the competition.
Then came along Ruskin Bond,again thanks to the same competition in another year.This time I did participate,but being a person reading simply for pleasure, more than for remebering each and every detail, the result was well predictable.

Then I got hooked to works by Agatha Christie,Earl Stanley Gardner and others doing detective stories.Oddly enough,I never found Sherlock Holmes interesting enough!It felt just tooooooo out of the blue,something you just could not participate in, but forced to retreat to the sidelines.In the end, it made the reader feel extremely humbled.I still enjoy all these works,and whenever I can,I'm glad to be able to get my hands on every good book.

Among other favourite titles thatI enjoy are "The Only Alien On the Planet" by Kristen Randle.I think I have to be lucky to place my hands on it because when I ran a search for other books by the same author,I discovered that she hadn't written many and had done so quite long ago.'Tis a very very sweet story about a girl aged 17 and the life she led with all the people who were a part of it.The story is very different,very touching and oh,so sweet!Get your hands on it as soon as you can!Then there is "The Count of Monte Cristo(unabbraiged)".Set against the French backdrop,it is a stunning tale of rise from near death."What Katy Did" and other two succeeding titles also caught my attention and the purity of it stared from the very depth of the book.

There are lots and lots of titles of which I hope to be able to provide reviews soon.

But I think,the biggest addiction is easily guessable,yes, the most popular book the world has today,Harry Potter.I'll be really sorry to see the end of it,which is quite close by,seeing that JKR is going to deliver the last installment next month(I'm waiting................).I think this is the first ever series which holds this kind of an anticipation for me.The rest of the books were always right under the nose.You just had to pick it up!But it's different this time round.With all the frenzy,it's really different.So just look out,bookworms and otherwise,it's round the corner,but oh damn! so far.........................

1 comment:

Me said...

Hi Akansha :-)...........,

Oh....... I understand what you are telling............... I too have such a lot of love for books. They bring about a world that is only limited by my imagination. :-).............

The results thing. My oh my......... children now have absolutely no freedom. If there is something called rebirth, then this is one thing because of which I would just not want to be born again. lol...............................

Marks are important, ranks are important, but isn't the 'life' and 'happiness' of the child important. Is his life going to be settled by just making him an engg. What if he doesn't like it. He will for ever, curse every single day of his working life and work only for the money that he earns. He will never be able to excel as his mind would be on things that he love and that would have no connection with what he is doing now. Think of a dentist who would have loved to become a singer!!!!!!!!!!

Can't blame the media though. They are just playing on the emotions that are ready to be exploited. What I don't understand is, how can our parents who love us so much suddenly become so business-like.............

Your blog made some real great read. :-)..........

Keep blogging............

Cheers!!
Vivek :-)...............